At Buckingham Primary Academy, we believe that our science curriculum is designed to develop children’s curiosity and fascination about the world in which they live and engender a desire to immerse themselves in science, technology and engineering in future years.
Through our carefully designed 3D curriculum, children use their investigative skills to help develop their knowledge and conceptual understanding of how science will impact on their lives and others around them. We are committed to providing children with a range of opportunities to investigate and make enquiries about their world through the study of the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics. Investigation will encourage children to understand how science can be used to explain what is occurring, predict how things will behave and analyse causes.
Through high quality teaching, we develop the following essential characteristics of scientists;
• An excellent knowledge of the world through the disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
• An understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries, helping children to answer scientific questions about the world around them
• An extensive scientific knowledge base with the ability to use correct terminology and vocabulary
• The ability to reach clear conclusions and explain their findings
• The ability to express well-balanced opinions, rooted in an understanding of the scientific knowledge which is current today
• An understanding that science is a constantly developing discipline, which has far reaching implications in an ever-changing world
• A genuine interest in the subject and a real sense of curiosity about the world around us.
At Buckingham Primary Academy, we want to our children to be engaged, inspired and challenged through their art and design lessons. Our children are offered a range of experiences and opportunities through which they can explore, build upon and make connections with other subjects. We do not want our Art and Design curriculum to focus solely upon the finished product.
We offer the children the opportunities to learn about a different artist, architect and designer each year which gives a greater knowledge of the historical and cultural development of art and design. Children will learn skills to enable them to produce creative work in the forms of drawing, painting, sculpture and other design techniques. The children are able to celebrate their creations through a ‘Showcase’ of their learning and through displays around the school.
Along with the teaching of Art and Design, we offer a dedicated termly ‘Art and design Week’. We believe that by dedicating this time, children are able to look carefully and develop a broader understanding of the subject, knowledge and skills and allows them to make 3d links across the curriculum with vertical and horizontal links.